First of all - Recommendation to minimize EMF/EMR exposure from cordless phones
- The base-station of 99% of cordless phones transmit RF radiation all the time, so in order to reduce your exposure to this RF radiation you need to stop using these cordless phones.
- Connect a corded (wired land line) phone to the phone outlet in every room. Use the corded phones for most of your calls.
- If you have a VOIP phone service in your house, connect the VOIP modem to the corded phone infrastructure in every room.
- If you must have a cordless phone, use a low radiation cordless phone (ECO DECT phones from SIEMENS) for short conversations. After turning ON the "ECO DECT" and "ECO DECT PLUS" features their base station will not emit RF radiation all the time. Keep the conversation as short as possible since there is still RF emission from the base-station and the handset during conversation.
- Don't put the base station next to beds, working stations and place where people usually spends time in.
For EHS people
- Don't use wireless/cordless phones.
- If you live in a house with other people that are not EHS and they demand to use cordless phones, install a low radiation cordless phone and stay away from the base station and the user while he/she uses the phone.
Cordless phones emit Electromagnetic Radiation
Using a cordless phone is very comfortable, but there is a downside. Cordless phones use RF transmission from the base to the handset and back. This RF transmission is actually electromagnetic radiation.
Some Cordless phone base stations emit EMF/EMR(Electromagnetic Fields/Electromagnetic Radiation) all the time, some when the headset is not in the base, and some only when talking. It is most recommended to make most of the calls using a wired phone, which does not emit any high frequency electromagnetic radiation. It is highly recommended to have a wired phone in every room and if needed a single, low radiation ECO DECT PLUS cordless phone for short conversations when moving from one room to the other.
Electromagnetic Radiation from cordless phones
All cordless phones emit electromagnetic radiation. The frequency of the signal is different from one type of phone to the other. Some old cordless phones work on ~50Mhz or ~90Mhz frequency, other will use ~900Mhz, ~1.7GHz, 1.9GHz, 2.4GHz and also 5.8GHz. Electromagnetic radiation is emitted both from the base station and from the handset. The levels of the radiation will be constant in most of the cordless phones (other than ECO DECT PLUS phones) and will depend on the maximum distance (between the base station and the handset) that the phone can support. There are digital (new) and analog (old) cordless phones. In most digital cordless phone the base station will transmit, and there for will emit radiation, all the time, even when not making a call. Sitting next to the phone's base station will expose you to high to mid levels of electromagnetic radiation. If the phone's base station will be placed next to a wall, high to mid levels of electromagnetic radiation will be metered on the other side of that wall. The handset will usually emit electromagnetic radiation only when making a call.
DECT Cordless phones
DECT phones base station emits RF Electromagnetic radiation (EMR) all the time (24X7) that they are plugged in to the electricity. Next to the DECT base station the EMR levels are very high (several watts per square meter), and they drop as you move away from it. So the worst thing to do is to put it next to where you sleep or stay. Over the last few years I met several people that used to put the DECT base station near their bedside or on the desk in their work station.
DECT phone head set can work up to 300 meters from their base station and the base station can support several extensions. DECT phones base station radiate with their max possible output power all the time since they don't have a smart power management and since the base station doesn't know how far its extensions are at.
Today you can find a DECT phone in every house since you don't have to be an electronic engineer to operate a DECT phone, so everyone use them and they can be found at almost every home. People buy it in the store, bring it home, connect it to the power line and to the phone line and it immediately starts to work and to emit EMR. When you have a DECT phone in your house you have an RF EMR source working all the time in your house. In addition to the base station RF EMR is emitted also from the headset when in use (talking) just like any other cordless phone. You won't find a warning label on the phone, package or in the manual. In some phones you will find a small warning that you should not get too close to the base station, but that is all.
DECT phones give you very good "reception", grate sound quality and the fallibility of a cordless phone, but does it worth all the radiation it emits in the middle of your home?
|RF EMR level next to a DECT base station
| High electric field near a DECT base station.
A DECT phone next to the bed
A DECT phone on the desk
ECO DECT Phones
Please note that not all "ECO DECT" phones that are sold around the world are really "Low radiation",
so you need to test before buying.
In most "ECO DECT" phones you need to configure the phone so the ECO & ECO plus mode will be ON
Lately "ECO DECT" phones are being introduced into the market. ECO DECT phone try to reduce the electricity consumption by limiting the time and level in which the base station transmits (radiation) to the handset. Working in ECO mode ECO DECT Phones tries to save electricity by reducing the level of transmission while having a conversation depending on the distance between the handset and the base station. In ECO DECT PLUS mode the phone will stop emitting RF EMR from the base station few seconds after the conversation is over. These facts narrow the time that the ECO DECT phone radiates on you and your close ones. I think that "ECO DECT" phones, as all other types of cordless phones, are bad (radiating into your brain while talking) but they are not as bad as regular DECT phones, which their base station radiate even when they are on "standby mode", when you are not using them.
Not all ECO DECT phones that are being sold today are really low radiation phones. In those that are low radiation you usually will need to setup the phone to actually be in ECO DECT and ECO DECT PLUS modes. The best thing is to take electromagnetic high frequency meter with you and to try it out in the store.
Video link: ECO DECT Phone Vs DECT phone.
ECO DECT phones in USA/CANADA
In the past there were no ECO DECT phones to be found in the US and Canada. Lately SIEMENS presented several models to North america customers at:
You can always order from EU or other countries and risk that some of the options will not work in the US or Canada.
A second thing you can do is go to several stores and search for cordless phone that does not have the "DECT" logo or technology, then you need to test the phones with an RF meter and make sure the phone base station does not emit RF radiation all the time.
In general, some of the old cordless phones, that does not support several handset units and work with 27Mhz, 900MHz, and 2.4GHz may prove to be "low radiation".
- When possible use a corded phone.
- If you need a cordless phone get one that its base station does not emit radiation all the time.
- If you already have a DECT phone try moving its base station to the far corner of the house, where no one will be directly exposed to the radiation it emits.
- In addition every cordless phone handset also emits RF EMR, similar to those that a mobile phone emits. So please try to limit the time you spend on the cordless phone.
Please see more EMF/EMR reduction related info on this site
All rights reserved
No Radiation For You" (c) 1/1/2010"
please contact us at : email@example.com